Monday, June 23, 2008

Suddenly, three unanswered questions?

1) The organization and design of a shoot to accommodate user driven narrative depends on a number of considerations. The shots themselves should be able to stand on their own, that is, they should each cover a bit of business of the whole event, experiment or story. I design each shot with it's own signature, which could be focused on composition, content, colour, etc. The shots should be able to connect, that is, there should be start and end points that join seamlessly, which could be designed as transitions (fades/wipes, etc.) or similar commonalities like texture, colour, etc. The final thing to consider is structure and how each shot helps to fulfill the structure in moving the whole piece along. So shot composition, shot-to-shot transitions and structure are the three areas I design to accommodate user driven narrative.

2) I tend to organize and design both user and distributable narratives in much the same way. The only thing I might add to my design is which type of distribution outlet I'm aiming for -- mobility, theatres, television, etc. The main variable in designing the narrative for different formats and media players is pace. I tend to have a slower pace for larger screens and a faster pace for small screens. And this has worked for me, although I've seen people do the opposite.

3) Ahh, Second Life, media and documentary considerations. Let's see.... My avatar is named Gia Parx and she is a cyber-extension of me, Janis Cole.

I designed her to be far more groovy than me but she doesn't come close to having my groovy lifestyle.

She watched some music and met a punk who said no to becoming her friend. She found two people who would become her friend, and it turned out they were both student friend/avatars. She tried to talk to a statue that had a Mona Lisa smile because she thought (s/he?) might give her the "magic pill" -- so that she could "get it" in this strange land -- but that didn't happen. She was hungry and got no food, thirsty and had nothing to drink, wanted to meet people but was pretty much on her own and eventually she sighed and no one much seemed to care, except me, and I couldn't hug her.

Before I let her go off the Island I determined she couldn't spend any money - which neither of us had - on art or other stuff she couldn't bring out with her. She didn't come upon any shopping encounters that I needed to control for her and this was just as well because personally I like shopping. (NOTE: Gia was never off my apron string in Second Life, she didn't run away and make me (wo)man-track her down (by Mike Sage's avatar perhaps?)

Gia didn't learn how to get around well enough to make a photo book, film or new media project in Second Life. If she had been able to make any of these things it may have been more interesting for me than watching her walk and fly (this being my favorite thing that she did), the only activities she learned to do with confidence. But had she managed to make a media art piece my next question would be how to get it out of Second Life to show my (her?) friends who don't have an avatar in there.

Being an avatar not only changes the notion of media engagement, it changes the notion of all forms of engagement. I have written in past blog posts on this topic but I'll quickly summarize for convenience. While I appreciate the concept of Second Life, I didn't like the idea of all the computer hours necessary to be really good at getting what I (Gia?) want, and when it comes to global networking I see possibilities for that with technologies outside of Second Life. I love other people's enthusiasm for Second Life, but did not find my own, with one exception....

The best documentary dissemination purpose I can see for avatars in Second Life is the idea Heather and Marie brilliantly conceived of for their new media project -- putting avatars of fallen soldiers into Second Life. This could be expanded to include others who have been taken from this life. I think that Heather and Marie should design an exclusive "After Life" site where we can visit avatars of our lost ones. (NOTE: an idea worthy of copyright perhaps?) Their fertile imaginations and deep rooted compassion for the lives of others gave me goosebumps about the Second Life concept. I like this After Life idea, hmmm. Should we talk? Call me!

I was just told about these questions today, moments ago, and I've answered to the best of my ability, and with tongue-in-cheek about Gia, the groovy, lonely avatar I have not visited in Second Life for more than two weeks. To be continued.........

No comments: